The Sonora High School staff expects students to dress appropriately for school. Research has shown that student dress and appearance affect student attitude and conduct. Student dress and appearance shall not be hazardous to the safety of anyone in school. Any clothes or styles of dress that may cause a threat, have a negative effect, or disrupt the educational process, will not be permitted. Clothing worn should correspond with the demands and attributes of the activity in which students participate. The following guidelines are intended to define appropriate student attire:
This dress code shall apply at school and at all school sponsored activities. Students who may be in violation of this dress code will be referred to the Assistant Principal’s office for appropriate action.
Dress appropriately for learning every day.
Be Proud – Dress to show your respect.
- Clothing should not contain words or graphics that are suggestive, lewd, obscene, vulgar, distracting, or offensive.
- Clothing should not display or promote violence or disruptive behavior.
- Clothing should not display, promote, or imply alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.
- Head coverings, including hats, beanies, and hoods should not be worn in class or in the office.
Be Prepared – Dress to learn.
- Shirts should have two straps at least two fingers in width and not below cut under the arm.
- Tops should not be low cut in the front or back (including no cleavage).
- Midriffs should be covered (shirts should touch the top of pants).
- Shorts or skirts should be appropriate length.
- Undergarments should not be seen (sheer and see-through clothing should not be worn).
- Spandex, Under Armor and similar tight fitting items may only be worn as undergarments when covered appropriately.
Be Safe – Dress to be prepared for the day.
- Pants should cover undergarments.
- Any holes in clothing should not appear above mid-thigh or on the torso.
- Footwear should be worn at all times.
Clothing should not indicate membership in a gang.