Philosophy and Method of Education
In recognition that some students can learn best in settings other than conventional classrooms, the Sonora Union High School District (SUHSD) offers a program of independent and flexible study arrangements through Theodore Bird High School. Established in August 1994, Bird HS is located on the District’s Alternative Education Campus at the Dome.
All courses are taught via the independent study method, with many taught through the Apex online program. Students do not attend daily classes. Instead, each student meets with an instructor one-to-one, or in a small group, at a pre-arranged time and place each week. The instructor assigns course work, which is to be completed by the student on his/her own time. The completed work is evaluated by the instructor at the next meeting. It is the responsibility of the student and parent to ensure the student attends this appointment and has all of his/her work completed every week.
The purpose of the school is:
- To offer students who cannot attend the comprehensive high school the opportunity to complete their high school education.
- To offer students a program of personalized instruction to meet their varying needs and ability levels.
- To offer students classes and activities which will enable them to increase their general knowledge and assist them in the development of self-discipline and self-confidence.
- To help students set and attain personal, academic, and career goals.
- To enrich the lives of the individual students served, and thereby enrich the community life as well.
251-A South Barretta Street
Sonora, CA 95370
T 209 533 2923
F 209 533 0980